Sunday 28 July 2013

Kim Hyun Joong Comes to Roy Kim’s Defense? “I Wonder if I Should Sue Crayon Pop”

Kim Hyun Joong Comes to Roy Kim’s Defense? “I Wonder if I Should Sue Crayon Pop”

One of the biggest challenges of being a pop star, is possibly having your songs, choreography and concepts accused of plagiarism. Basically calling you a talentless, leeching artist who has not much to offer in terms of substance and creativity. Not only does it hurt the company who has slaved over the production of the artist’s album, music video, etc. – but more importantly the artist’s reputation is damaged and it takes them a while to recover from such a scandal.
Witty solo artist and actor Kim Hyun Joong, who made a light-hearted remark about plagiarism in an interview, seemed to be commenting on this overall rather alarming trend of singers, songwriters and companies falling prey to accusations of plagiarism.
There are many arguments that could be weighed against or for songs sounding so similar, for example – that the well of inspiration to draw from has now become rather shallow, with many addictive, chart-topping K-Pop songs written by a handful of famous songwriters, or that music continues to be inspired by the past.
Roy Kim is the latest singer to be caught in a whirlwind of plagiarism accusations. As the reports go, Roy Kim may be leaving the music scene anyway for the United States to start school at the Georgetown McDonough School of Business.
kim hyun joong
On July 27, Kim Hyun Joong appeared as a guest for  KBS 2TV‘s “Entertainment Weekly.
He said candidly, “I’m the ‘Ghost’ senior. Receiving greetings from younger artists is still strange to me, so I tend to run away.”
He went on, “I watch a lot of videos on Youtube of girl groups. Crayon Pop is my favorite. In particular, the choreography for ‘Bar Bar Bar’ is strikingly similar to the one for my song ‘Lucky Guy.’ ” He joked, “It wouldn’t even be exaggerating if I even said that they borrowed it from my song. I wonder if I’m supposed to sue them…”
He then added, “I really like [Crayon Pop]!”
In other news, Kim Hyun Joong is currently promoting his album “Round 3.

soompi

No comments:

Post a Comment